Thursday, March 31, 2011

Oxidane?

April Fools! It is currently April 1st in about on-half of the world. So it is TECHNICALLY true that it is April Fools Day.

And on the subject of "technically true."


Oxidane is the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry term for water. Water is also called dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) and this term is often used in these psuedoscience hoaxes.

The purpose of this post was to demonstrate the human propensity for irrational fear when given only partial information, or information calculated to mislead.

To try and overcome irrationality in my life, there are at least two important rules that I live by:

If it cannot be measured, it did not happen.

If it is not testable or observably repeatable, it cannot happen.

Oh, and I do not care if I end a sentence with a preposition.

Happy April 1st, somwhere in the world. And by the way, 20 years ago today I began my career in healthcare law, finance, reimbursement, policy, HIT. Nothing has been the same since, yet it has made all of the difference. I guess the joke was on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home